Sepang 1000KM Endurance Race 2015
Aaron and Farriz, Honda Malaysia Racing Team Wins S1K
Sepang, 28 November 2015
- Malaysia’s top race car driver Aaron Lim won his second Sepang 1000KM Endurance Race (S1K) crown as the former Malaysia’s A1 Grand Prix driver led Honda Malaysia Racing Team (HMRT) to a comfortable victory at Sepang International Circuit (SIC) today.
Partnering Malaysia Merdeka Endurance Race (MMER) former champion Farriz Fauzy, the dynamic duo cruised to victory; completing the 181-lap contest in eight hours 42 minutes 55.365 seconds in their Honda City machine and finishing a full lap ahead of second-placed, N1 Racing Team.
A regular driver for HMRT, Aaron first won the S1K title in 2013 with Eddie Lew; driving a Honda Jazz machine. They were unable to retain their title last year after only managing third placing; losing out to Proton R3 Motorsports which scored a sensational 1-2 victory.
Featuring a three-man team of Mitchell Cheah, Winson Eu and Desmond Yee, the trio from N1 Racing took second place by completing 180 laps. A casually assembled team – Clearly Crafty Racing, which featured racing friends - Singaporean Richard Wee, Frank Yu of Hong Kong and Japanese Hiroshi Hamaguchi took third place in a Toyota Altis.
Defending champions Tengku Djan Ley Tengku Mahaleel and Syafiq Ali of Proton R3 Motorsports finished fifth overall by completing 177 laps in their Proton Iriz. Troubled by electrical problems to their Proton Suprima S machine, R3’s second car featuring newly-crowned Malaysia Championship Series (MCS) Fariqe Hairuman and James Veerapen finished in 11th
place with 154 laps.
The newly-introduced Independence Cup was won by Team Dream chaser, which features a three-man Malaysian-Singapore partnership of Ong Chee Yong, Tom Goh and Jean Charles Dahout. Driving a Proton Satria Neo, the team completed 178 laps to finish fourth overall.
Supported by N1 Racing and finishing sixth overall, the partnership of Gerald Tan, Lim Keong Liam and Shawn Peh took second place for the category after finishing 176 laps in their Proton Satria Neo.
A four-man team which included a father-daughter partnership of Nasharuddin Aziz and 24-year old Nurul Husna took third place for the Independence Cup class. Supported by Foo Yang Chieh and Yee Kok Jun, the team finished eighth overall; completed 171 laps in their Suzuki Swift machine.
Flagged off by SIC Chairman Tan Sri Mokhzani Mahathir at 12 noon, the race was largely ran on dry track except for a short span from 2.30 pm when the circuit was hit by a slight drizzle, which lasted about 15 minutes.
Starting from pole position, Tengku Djan and Syafiq Ali led the race for the opening four hours before their Proton Iriz encountered challenges on its oil pressure system; allowing Aaron and Farriz to take over the leadership until the checkered flag was dropped at 8.43pm.
A total of 21 cars competed in this year’s race with drivers coming from as far as Japan, Hong Kong and Australia.
SIC’s next event is the Sepang 12-Hours Endurance, which will be held from December 11 to 13 and expected to see most of the competing drivers returning to the track for more race actions.
2015 SEPANG 1000KM ENDURANCE RACE
TOP TEN FINISHERS
1.Aaron Lim/Farriz Fauzy (Honda City) – 181 laps (8:42.55.365s)
2. Mitchell Cheah/Winson Eu/Desmond Yee (Proton Satria Neo) – 180 laps
3. Richard Wee Keng Kwok/Frank Yu/Hiroshi Hamaguchi (Toyota Altis) – 180 laps
4. Ong Chee Yong/Tom Goh/Jean Charles Dahout (Proton Satria Neo) – 178 laps
5. Tengku Djan Ley Tengku Mahaleel/Syafiq Ali (Proton Iriz) – 177 laps
6. Gerald Tan/Lim Keong Liam/Shawn Peh (Proton Satria Neo) – 176 laps
7. Junichi Uemoto/Kouichi Okumura/Teruhiko Hamano/Hiroyiki Iiri (Honda FIT) – 176 laps
8. Foo Yang Chieh/Nurul Husna Nasharuddin/Yee Kok Jun/Nasharuddin Abdul Aziz (Proton Satria Neo) – 171 laps
9. Nick Mah/Kenny Lee/Chris o’ Shannessy (Suzuki Swift) -161 laps
10. Chan Wan To/Chan Kwok Leung/Terence Kin Leung/Liao See Ming (Suzuki Swift) – 156 laps
For more information, please contact SIC National Press Officer Nor Lina Ayob at firstname.lastname@example.org